Friday, February 2, 2018

Truly The Greatest Show

I saw the Greatest Showman during winter break in 2017 and have had every song stuck in my head ever since. The movie came to theaters on Dec. 20 and is a must see because of its outstanding story line, based on a true story and original songs will be stuck in your head until the day you die. When I was younger, my parents took me to a Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey Circus show. My mom says I fell asleep toward the end, but I am thoroughly convinced it wasn’t due to a lack of entertainment the circus provided, but rather I spent more hours of the day sleeping than awake during my childhood. I was also too young to truly remember everything going on, so all I have is my mom’s word.

Although I don’t remember much about the actual experience I attended, I do recall reading in the news about the circus shutting down due to accusations from PETA about mistreated animals. How true that all is, I don’t know and not a debate I care to go into. I found the movie to be an interesting take on how P.T Barnum rose to success and created the start of the popular Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey circus.


As interesting as that all is, the thing I really love most about the movie is the music. It’s the kind of music that you will be singing all day, every day (which I do). My favorite song that is constantly stuck in my head is called, “A Million Dreams Are Keeping Me Awake.” It’s very catchy and easy to sing along to, as well as relatable. My favorite lyrics from the song are, “every night I lie in bed, the brightest colors fill my head. A million dreams are keeping me awake. I think of what the world could be, a vision of the one I see.” The reason I say this song is relatable is because most everyone dreams about what they want their life to be like as they get older. When you’re young, the options are endless and the song is first sang by the young P.T Barnum.

Now, my favorite scene to watch is a tie between the songs, “The Greatest Show” and “Rewrite the Stars.” The song, “The Greatest Show” takes place at the very beginning of the movie and the very end of the movie. There is a lot going on in the scene to keep your attention, as well it’s just a very catchy song. I tie that song with, “Rewrite the Stars” because the scene is a break from all the madness of what is going on with P.T Barnum and the circus. It’s a classic love story of two people wanting to be together, but not thinking they are good for each other. The scene is very beautiful and sad all at the same time, which I LOVE (but that’s just me).


Every song in the movie is good for its own reasons and works for the movie. Regardless of what you think about P.T Barnum and his rise to success or the circus in general, this movie is truly a great and entertaining show to watch. I look forward to the DVD being released so I can obnoxiously play it and sing along too many times.

1 comment:

  1. I LOVED the Greatest Showman. I truly believe it was one of the best movies I have seen in a very long time. It was a feel good movie. The actors did an amazing job. I think the makeup and the costumes really betrayed the "freaks" that Barnam and Baileys show was all about embracing. The music was what got me. The soundtrack is absolutely fantastic. My favorites are "This is Me" and "The Other Side." You named two other ones completely different from me which just shows how brilliant every song is on that soundtrack. I love that you wrote a post about this beautiful show.

    ReplyDelete