Monday, April 23, 2018

Race for the Ribbon 5k


The sorority I’m in, Zeta Tau Alpha (ZTA), has hosted an annual 5k for the past 11 years to help raise money for our philanthropy, Breast Cancer Education and Awareness. For the two years I’ve been in ZTA, I’ve always looked forward to the 5k because it always turns out to be an eventful weekend of meeting new people, having something to do and supporting an important cause. I like to be social, I like to stay busy and I love giving back whenever I can so this event is by far one of my favorite.

 In a sorority, you have a big sister and a little sister. Your big also has a big, and their big has a big, so on and so forth. Your big sister’s big is then referred to as you grand big or “g-big.” This creates a sorority family, but not many people know a lot of older women in their “fams” as we call them. I am fortunate enough to know my eight g-big, who is ten years older than me. I have met all except one of my older fam members as of now. I get the chance to meet more of them at events such as the 5k because ZTA alumni are encouraged to come back and help support our philanthropy. When my fam comes into town, it’s an all weekend thing. I get to meet new friends, bond with old ones and have a stress free weekend and a lot of fun. We typically go out to dinner and hang out all night until we all get too tired to keep talking. 

I also  got the chance at the past 5k to spend time with my boyfriend, Aaron, and his family. Aaron’s sister and friends came to the 5k to show their support, along with his golden retriever, Tj.

I didn’t choose to participate in the 5k this year, but rather work the food table. My job was to pick up food and give them to those who participated in the 5k. We usually get some food donated, then buy some as a thank you to those who took the time out of their day to support our event. Next year I am thinking about participating in the 5k so I can walk with my fam members or maybe with Aaron. It would be a great way to spend more time with the people I care about, especially if they’re only in town for a little while.

 I encourage you to consider signing up to participate in events like our Race for the Ribbon 5k in support of good causes, such as Breast Cancer Education and Awareness. Even if you don’t run, there is no harm in registering and showing your support for good causes. I think that goes for any event on a college campus put on by a fraternity or sorority. Most events put on by Greek life support some sort of cause and is worth the time to show up. Walk the 5k if you need to, eat some food or win some raffle baskets to show your support and do the same for other events on campus as well.



3 comments:

  1. I think events like this are incredible ways to raise awareness, education, and support for a wonderful cause. I am not much of a runner but I enjoy doing it for causes like this. The turnout you guys had was awesome and it was cool seeing the campus come together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I could have supported this event, but I was in Cleveland :( I am so glad to hear it was a success, though, and it sounded like a fun day! Hopefully I can attend in the future and support you awesome philanthropy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was sorry I didn’t get to walk this year as it’s such a great cause but we did donate and that’s what counts. I hope I can walk with you next year as it has hit home with me this year having a dear friend of mine being diagnosed.

    ReplyDelete