Tuesday, March 20, 2018

Things to do in Ada, Ohio

I was given an interesting assignment in my social media class recently: make a video of what there is to do in Ada, Ohio. You see, the options are very endless in Ada because it’s a very small town. I’m not sure if it even passes for a town or if it’s only a village. My class was given this assignment with very little instruction. You could do voice overs, but you don’t have to; you could use a song, but you don’t have to; you could do it as an interview, but you don’t have to. Sometimes it can be frustrating to not have a set-in stone assignment on strictly what to do, but this time I didn’t mind.

The direction I chose to go with my video was more of a collage feel. I walked around Ada one day and I took videos of all the major things I’ve found exciting and made into something that will make me nostalgic someday. I started off by introducing myself and giving credit to my best friend and boyfriend whom helped me record my video. The first point I made about Ada was that it was fun to walk around. When the weather is nice, going on a walk down main street to go get food or ice cream is one of the most relaxing things.

I then moved on to talk about how feeding the fish can be fun, but it will inevitably turn in to feeding the ducks. When my boyfriend, Aaron, and I were recording this video, all we had were tortillas to feed the ducks. Once we ran out, a man came up to us and gave us a pack of hamburger buns for the ducks. He explained that he didn’t have time to stay and feed them, but that he was hoping we would do it for him. We gladly said yes and spent more time with the ducks than originally intended.

The next part of the video moves into going to the Ada theater and getting food. My best friend, Sam, helped me with these sections of the video along with the walk around Ada I mentioned before. I have been to the Ada theater only one time since I’ve been living in Ada. I can’t remember what movie I saw, but I went with some friends and sat in the very back. It’s a small, one room theater with limited show times, but there’s a good chance you’ll always see someone you know there. That is also the case when you’re visiting the few restaurant optiong in Ada. I think it’s fortunate to have a good Italian and Mexican restaurant in the small town and it’s also nice to have familiar places like Taco Bell, McDonald’s and Subway. I can’t lie though, going back home to Columbus and eating my mom’s cooking is the best feeling EVER.

The next part of my video goes into all the things to do at the community park: swinging, going down the slides and climbing a rock wall. I feel like a child again when I go to the park, which is why I like to go. It’s refreshing to play for a little bit, especially when I’m drowning in school work. Right after the park adventures, I make a point to explore. Ada might be small, but there is always somewhere to explore in any place and I want to encourage people to go beyond what they see and explore the world around them. Aaron helped me film those parts of the videos, as well as the very end when there’s nothing left to do but nap.


If you’re a student at Ohio Northern University, you most likely make your fun in this small town. I’ve attached the final video, as well as posted about it on my Twitter and Facebook. I’m very proud of this small project I put together and although it might not be anywhere close to star quality, I think it turned out great for my social media class.

1 comment:

  1. I loved watching your video!! It pretty much sums up what you can do in Ada and includes all of my favorite things to do: napping and eating. I can't wait for you to show this in class, I'm sure it will be a hit

    ReplyDelete