Tuesday, April 10, 2018

Yet Another Social Media Platform

I think one of the most underrated accounts is Tumblr. I first got a Tumblr account when I was in high school and quickly retreated from it. I could not figure out exactly what it was for, how set it up, how to use it, etc. I decided that is was not the application for me and went back to spending my time on bigger platforms, such as Instagram and Twitter. However, when I got bored with my normal social medias, I went back to give Tumblr another try. This time I had one of my friends walk me through exactly how to use it.

Tumblr still isn’t my favorite application in terms of how to use it. Building a profile is easy, but making changes to your account isn’t as easy as other platforms. You can change your header, profile picture, name, bio, accent color and background color. Rather than clicking on settings to do all those changes, you click on a paint palette and are able to choose from multiple colors, fonts and appearances.  My profile has a black background with grey accent, a short bio, a blurry profile picture and aesthetic header. My handle on Tumblr isn’t the same as on all of my other social media accounts. When setting up my account, I asked my friend what my handle should be and her response was, “what do people call you?” Well, people call me Morgan because that’s my name. That lead to the most creative social media handle I have ever come up with, @peoplecallmemorgan.

Tumblr is similar to all other social media platforms because you can follow people, post words or pictures, repost what other people post, like posts, etc. You have a timeline posts from who you follow and what they repost as well as your own content. Suggested followers will also appear on your newsfeed that are comparable to accounts you currently follow or the content you post and repost. Posts that you like appear on a separate tab than the posts you make yourself or repost. The layout of Tumblr is like that of Twitter, which has made it easier to use since I am an avid Twitter user. A unique feature that Tumblr offers is the to keep who you follow and your likes private if you choose.


If you’ve read my previous blogs, you may have read when I wrote about VSCO. I believe VSCO to also be an underrated platform and I use it mostly for my own aesthetic. I do the same for Tumblr. I rarely post my own content, but rather I share posts that I find relatable or aesthetic. I wouldn’t say Tumblr is my favorite social media platform and I don’t think it’s the best tool for any marketing or public relations for a business, but I do think it’s a little underrated and offers more than people may be aware of.

No comments:

Post a Comment